Norwegian Organic salmon- farmed, processed and sold by SalMar
The world’s largest producer of Organic Salmon – 52 weeks a year supply
SalMar is one of the world’s leading producers of organic salmon and is integrated from brood stock and smolt, to value added products and sales.
In 2009 Salmar was certified to farm, process and sell organic salmon, and in March 2011 the first organic salmon from Salmar was harvested. Since the start the development has been nothing but positive, and we have seen an increased demand for organic salmon from the market.
Today Salmar has 5 organic licences. The organic salmon from Salmar is farmed and harvested in Central Norway.
Organic Salmon has been an important focus for SalMar in Norway and today we supply Organic Salmon 52 weeks a year.
What is Organic Salmon?
For the salmon to be classified as organic it must be farmed to the EU organic regulations and audited by DEBIO.
THE MAIN CRITERIA FOR OUR ORGANIC SALMON ARE:
- The density in the pen is not allowed to be more than 10 kg/m3
- The organic salmon is fed with maritime feed, made from off cuts from fish- it’s an absolute demand that the fish used in the feed derives from sustainable fisheries (MSC-certified fisheries)
- The pigmentation used is Panaferd which is a natural colorant. This gives the Salmon the same natural color as wild salmon.
- SalMar is using cleaner-fish to help keep the salmon free of sea lice.
- The nets are not treated with anti-fouling which contains copper. This will have less impact on the environment.
- If fish have to be treated by medications, the withdrawal period is twice as long as conventional salmon.
- The MOM (environmental surveillance) is an important factor in the DEBIO audits. The sites used for organic farming shall be fallowed minimum 4 months after the site is empty- compared to 2 months for the conventional sites
- The entire process is verified throughout the chain – and it is regularly inspected by the certification body. Minimum yearly inspections and control of protocols for fish husbandry, fish farming procedures, feed, harvesting, processing and sales.
- The certification process for Organic farming in Norway is delegated to ”Debio” by the Norwegian Food Authority. ”Debio” approval ID is NS-EN 45011, ISO 65.
- SalMar Farming has a certified organic production according to the”Debio” Standard for aquaculture of atlantic salmon, and this standard is also covering the EU regulations for farming of organic salmon
Approval ID: DEBIO-03-21135 EU organic regulations
Our Organic Products
Local processing provides the opportunity for a wide variety of first-class fresh and frozen organic salmon products, post and pre rigor. High content of marine oil makes organic salmon a good source of EPA and DHA.
If you would like to know more about SalMar’s products, please contact our sales department at email@example.com or by telephone at +47 7244 7900.